Tuesday, January 22, 2019

It's time...

I've been closed off talking about my suicidal ideations, I'm embarrassed and I'm not really quite sure what to say, but it needs to be talked about.

 I tried to commit suicide once, we were in Augusta and I stole the key off of Nick's key chain to the gun box. He went to work the next day, while I worked on letters and then sat in our blue office holding a gun up to my head. I was pulling the trigger as my old therapist in Austin called me. I answered, because it's rude not to and I try to not be rude haha 😏. I remember being in the mindset like it was yesterday, the dark dark place where I didn't think I could pull myself out of. I had given up, I was tired of feeling that pain, tired of fighting my thoughts, tired of just living with myself and the baggage I had. I wanted it to all go away, and honestly I thought was just a burden to everyone, especially Nick. He would have been happier without me, he could find someone better than me. I didn't want him to think he had to stay in the warped world I felt like I was in. I felt like no one wanted me around and that I wasn't that important to anyone. I was wrong.

I think back to that time and those memories rush through my mind. I'm so glad I never fully pulled that trigger. Surprisingly enough, when I was hospitalized right after that, there was a man that came into the geriatric psych ward where I was at. His mouth was wired shut, but seemed completely normal and happy. The geriatric psych ward was attached to the adult psych ward, just had a door in between. I would go to groups on the adult side when they had them during the day and the man came to one group and sat next to me. He smiled at me everyday and waved and I did the same. I forgot what we were talking about in group, but I brought up my suicidal thoughts and what had put me in the hospital this time. He turned to me and as much as he could talk and said, "I'm so glad you didn't." He then pointed to his face and said he shot himself in an attempt to commit suicide. He told me that if he would had known what it would have done to his family he wouldn't have done it. They had no idea, and their reactions tore him apart more than what his thoughts did. He told me that even when I feel like I'm at my lowest point, someone out there wants you around. He then said, "I'm glad my life didn't end, and I'm glad yours didn't either." I've carried this conversation around with me since it happened. I'm glad I met that man and am still taken aback about what he said, he changed me though. I can finally say at this point, I don't want my life to end. Times can get hard, I still feel like a burden sometimes and I feel worthless. I'm not though, and I'm learning to just sit with those thoughts and feelings and fighting them, which I was not able to do before. Yay therapy, did I actually learn something after all this time?! 😂

Recently, I had a friend tell me about a situation in her life that is related to suicide. It's really made me start thinking of my past and how I empathize with those that struggle with suicidal thoughts. I know how they feel, and I get it. People say it's selfish, which it is, BUT you are in a mindset that you think you're doing the best thing for others. I'm realizing that after talking to my friend, that I completely missed how hard this must have been for N. I can see this person struggling and not understanding and it breaks my heart. If I could go back, I would want to tell N how hard I was trying, that I didn't want to give up, but I didn't know what else to do. I wanted him to be happy, and I knew I was not making him happy at that time. I was lost and no other way to escape, but that I'm so sorry that I put him through that and that I love him so much for sticking with me. I'm sure others feel this way too. I want families who have a loved one struggling, to know that this does end. That others are out there that are going through the same thing. Reach out for help, it's okay to ask for it. Talking with other people in the same situation will help you get through this. I want for people who do have suicidal ideations to know the same thing. You are loved even if you don't feel like it. You're strong and you've made it this far. Reach out for help, it's not a sign of weakness. I know it's scary opening up about these thoughts and why you have them, but once you do, you start to heal. Healing is hard, but so very worth it. To both sides, it does get better. The thoughts will fade and even if they jump up every once in awhile, they will past as fast as they come. Don't ever give up.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255. Call 24/7.


<3 M

1 comment:

  1. Your strength in overcoming THIS speaks volume Megan. Thank you for opening up and sharing so that you can perhaps save someone one day that has suicidal ideation. Bless your heart my friend, you are loved and adored by many people, including me.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete